Information on Total Mobility Scheme and the agencies that provide assessments in the Otago region. There are agencies in Alexandra, Balclutha, Dunedin, Oamaru and Wanaka
What is the Total Mobility scheme?
Funded in partnership by local and central government, the total mobility scheme assists eligible people, with long term impairments to access appropriate transport to meet their daily needs and enhance their community participation.
- electronic cards to eligible scheme members that subsidise the normal transport fare by 50% up to a maximum fare (set by the relevant regional council)
- funding to scheme providers to help purchase and install wheelchair hoists
- payment to the owner of the wheelchair accessible vehicle for each total mobility scheme member who requires the use of a wheelchair hoist or ramp on a trip.
Who administers the scheme?
The Otago Regional Councils administers the scheme in Otago
How does the Total Mobility scheme work?
- Scheme users are issued with an electronic card.
- You can obtain an electronic card from the Otago Regional Council.
- Total mobility subsidies can be claimed anywhere in New Zealand where the scheme operates.
- The subsidy per trip is 50% of the fare, up to a maximum subsidy of $25.00.
- If the total fare is more than the maximum subsidy you must meet the additional cost.
For general information about the scheme, visit: www.transport.govt.nz/ourwork/Land/the-Total-Mobility-Scheme/ (external link)
Here are the agencies that provide the assessment and access to Total Mobility scheme
Alexandra Senior Citizens Club
PO Box 158, Community Centre, Skirt Street, Alexandra
Phone: (03) 448 7007
9 The Octagon, Dunedin
Phone: (03) 477 1040, ext. 706
CCS Disability Action Otago Inc
514 Great King Street, Dunedin North
Phone: (03) 477 4117
283-301 Moray Place, Dunedin
Phone: (03) 471 6207 or 027 6877 497
Idea Services Otago
42 King Edward Street, Dunedin
Phone: (03) 466 3850
Multiple Sclerosis Society
8 Baker Street, South Dunedin
Phone: (03) 455 5894
80 Filleul Street, Dunedin
Phone: (03) 470 2208
Parkinsonism Society of NZ
PO Box 9060, Dunedin
Phone: (03) 262 7040 or 027 629 7892
Presbyterian Support Otago
407 Moray Place, Dunedin
Phone: (03) 477 7115
Royal NZ Foundation of the Blind
Cnr Hillside Road and Law Street, South Dunedin
Phone: (03) 466 4230
The Dunedin RSA Trust
63 Bay View Road, Dunedin
Phone: (03) 466 4888
Visual Impairment Charitable Trust Aotearoa NZ (VICTA)
PO Box 5862, Moray Place, Dunedin 9058
Phone: 0800 206 620
CCS Disability Action - Waitaki
316 Thames Highway, Oamaru
Phone: (03) 437 9005
Diabetes NZ North Otago Ltd
Community House, 100 Thames Street, Oamaru
Phone: (03) 437 2348
Idea Services North Otago Branch
18 Severn Street, Oamaru
Phone: (03) 433 1016
Community Networks Wanaka
73 Brownston Street, Wanaka
Phone: (03) 443 7799